September is Hunger Action Month – time for everyone in Silicon Valley to mobilize against local hunger.
The local economy is booming, but many of our neighbors are having a hard time putting food on the table as the cost of housing skyrockets. Even those we depend on to make our community run can’t afford to pay for housing in Silicon Valley and put food on the table – cooks, cashiers, health care workers and teachers. It’s the Silicon Valley paradox.
Hunger Action Month is your opportunity to join a movement to help Second Harvest feed more people than ever before. We are asking for your help to raise awareness about this important issue and to support efforts to end hunger in our community.
It’s going to take a coordinated community effort – from businesses, government, community groups and individuals like you. But with your support, the problem of hunger is solvable. Whether it’s by donating, volunteering or advocating for anti-hunger policies you can find a way to make a difference that’s right for you.
Ways you can help fight hunger in our community:
- Donate here to help your hungry neighbors in need. Second Harvest can stretch the dollars you donate to feed more people.
- Second Harvest can turn $10 into 20 nutritious meals.
- $1 provides nearly $3 worth of food at a local grocery store.
- Your generous gift today translates directly into healthy food for children, families and seniors who need it most in our community!
- Volunteer at one of our distribution sites providing food directly to your neighbors in need.
- Connect by following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Or sign up for our e-newsletter to get monthly updates.
Hungry for more? Here are additional ways to get involved:
- Advocate for those needing access to healthy food in our community. Let your representative know you are opposed to cuts to CalFresh (SNAP). Find contact information for your representative here and choose an option below to reach out.
- Customize this sample letter. Then email it or mail it to your Congressional representative.
- You can also call your elected official and relay the following message: I oppose the House Budget Resolution that harms families, seniors and individuals struggling to put food on the table.
- Find information on what CalFresh cuts would mean to your District and view our 2017 Public Policy Issues Agenda to see where Second Harvest stands on federal, state, and local government issues relating to our mission.
- When you’re done, let us know by tagging @2ndHarvest on social media.
- Share a plate unseflie and show your commitment to ending local hunger.
Thank you for participating in Hunger Action Month! Everyone can make a difference. Together we are building a hunger-free community.
**Click here to see more Hunger Action Month posts.**