‘Tis the season of giving! Thanks to the many community groups and local businesses that are supporting our work and helping our neighbors in need this holiday season.
Here’s a list of special events and promotions benefiting the Food Bank (we’ll be adding more as we hear about them, so please check back often):
Food and Fund Drives
- Safeway and NBC Bay Area’s “Feed the Need” Drive – Support Bay Area food banks by purchasing a $10 specially produced shopping bag filled with items that food banks need the most at 155 Safeway locations throughout the Bay Area, now through 12/27.
- Lucky and FoodMaxx “Give. Share. CARE!” Drive – From 11/15 through 12/27, donate at your local Lucky or FoodMaxx store. At check-out, you’ll see meal coupons ($2 feeds one person breakfast; $3 feeds one person for lunch; $5 feeds on person for dinner) that you can tear-off and hand to the cashier. 100% of all donations will go to the local food bank assigned to each store.
- 96.5 KOIT Stuff-A-Bus – Bring your non-perishable food items and help stuff a SamTrans Bus at this annual event at the Shops At Tanforan in San Bruno on Saturday, 11/12, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Scouting for Food, 11/19 – In the Bay Area, more than 30,000 Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Venturers, Explorers and their supporters will be “Scouting for Food” by picking up boxed or bagged nonperishable food items for local food banks placed on doorsteps by 9 a.m. on Saturday, 11/19.
- RAGA^N Dance Fundraiser, 11/12, 7 p.m.-11 p.m. – Enjoy a performance by RAGA^N (Raama, Ajay, Geeta, Akshay, Nitin) – all musically talented high schoolers – In Union City to support their fundraiser to help fight local hunger! More info.
- Cranksgiving San Jose, 11/13 – San Jose’s first Cranksgiving is happening this year! Part bike ride, part food drive, part scavenger hunt, this community event has been held annually in New York City since 1999 and now there are nearly 80 independently organized events across the globe. Get more info and register.
- Silicon Valley Turkey Trot, 11/24 – Start Thanksgiving Day off on the right foot at the Applied Materials “Silicon Valley Turkey Trot.” It’s an event the whole family will enjoy! Many have made the “run” or “walk” a Thanksgiving Day tradition. Register today!
- San Jose Barracuda “Star Wars Night”, 11/25, 6 p.m. – Get 50% off tickets to the 11/25 San Jose Barracuda vs. Bakersfield Condors game by using the promo code “FOOD”! There will be Second Harvest Food Bank food collection barrels at the game, so be sure to bring non-perishable food items to donate. Purchase tickets.
- Santana Row’s Holiday Open House & Wine Stroll, 12/6, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. – Enjoy wine tastings inside Santana Row shops, carolers, hot chocolate and more. Plus, a visit and photos with Santa! Bring a donation of canned food on the night of the event and be entered to win a $250 Santana Row gift card. Customers must be 21 years or older to attend this event. Purchase your tickets online or inside the Santana Row Concierge.
- United with Santa, 12/10-12/11, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. – Free two-day family festival hosted by United Wholesale Flowers benefiting local charities. Activities include: Free Picture with Santa, Kids Make & Take Flower. Crafts & Christmas Stories, Santa’s Village Carnival, Open Floral Design Studio (gifts for nursing homes), Adult Monthly Floral Design Workshop, and more! More info.
Shopping & Dining Promotions
- MOD Pizza – From 11/22 to 11/27, for every pizza sold at a participating MOD Pizza location, the MOD Squad will donate $1.00 to us! Participating locations in San Jose include:
Coleman Landings, 530 Newhall Dr.; Village Oaks, 5670 Cottle Rd; and Westgate West, 5263 Prospect Rd.
- Crate & Barrel – From 11/1-12/31, Crate & Barrel will be accepting monetary donations from customers at the register. Every customer who donates $5.00 will receive a holiday CD. Donations generated at the stores in Palo Alto and San Jose will be split between Feeding America and us.
- Elephant Bar (Daly City and Burlingame locations) – Elephant Bar is holding its “Dine Out to Help Out” fundraiser from 12/1 to 12/24. A portion of the proceeds from a three-course prix-fixe dinner ($20 for an appetizer, main course, and dessert) will be donated to Second Harvest Food Bank!
- AmazonSmile is an easy and automatic way to support Second Harvest Food Bank. Every time you shop at AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible purchases to the Food Bank. You’ll find the exact same low prices and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus of helping our neighbors in need.
- Dave Severns Memorial Golf Tournament – Every year, the Severns Foundation hosts a golf tournament in honor of Dave Severns, a devoted supporter of Second Harvest Food Bank. This year, the Dave Severns Memorial Golf Tournament crossed the $100,000 mark in total funds raised for the Food Bank! Now through 12/31, all donations up to $500 each made on the Dave Severns Memorial Golf Tournament donation page will be matched, up to $25,000.
- Feeding America’s Give A Meal Program – With the help of Bank of America, your holiday gift can help us provide twice as many meals for our neighbors in need. Donate to Feeding America’s Give A Meal program through 12/31 and Bank of America will match every $1 with an additional $2! BoA will only match a total of $1,000 per donor. Donate online.
***Do you know about other special events and promotions benefiting the Food Bank? Please share them in the comments section below.