“Social Media Round-Up” is an ‘ICYMI’ compilation of the top hunger-related news articles and other interesting tidbits posted on our social media profiles.
“For six consecutive years, we’ve conducted a comprehensive study called Map the Meal Gap to improve our understanding of hunger and to fight food insecurity at the local, regional, and national levels. Our most recent analysis shows hunger’s vast reach.”
- These 4 States Are Doing Something Truly Revolutionary with Food, HUFFINGTONPOST.COM
“More urgently, there are millions of families who struggle to afford food, while there are mountains of it decaying in the trash. But these states are changing that, using strategies to keep food out of landfills and get it to hungry families.”
- The Fight to Use Food Stamps Online, TIME.COM
“Regardless of one’s political views about food stamps, if we’re going to be spending money making sure people get free food, we need to make sure that they get access to the healthiest food possible…”
“Are Americans confused about what constitutes a healthy diet? Do they say one thing, but do another? Or perhaps it’s a matter of portion size: We may be choosing foods that are healthy in moderation, but are eating too much of them.”
- Why This Food Bank is Turning Away Junk Food, CIVILEATS.COM
Love this! We recently adopted a new Healthy Food and Beverage Policy that includes focusing grain purchases on low-sugar whole grains and discontinuing the distribution of candy (which has never been purchased by the food bank, only donated).
Our nutrition team encouraged clients at the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center to try melon with mint! #nutrition #healthyfood #healthyeating #nutritioneducation #myplate #latergram A photo posted by Second Harvest Food Bank (@2ndharvest) on Aug 22, 2016 at 1:26pm PDT
- The Vast Majority of Expiration Dates are Bogus- Here’s How Long Your Food is Still Good, BUSINESSINSIDER.COM
Things that make you go hmmm
- A Day in the Life of a Samaritan: Nonprofit Kitchen Manager Ruby Kaho Helps Serve Hundreds with Donated Food, SMDAILYJOURNAL.COM
Great article featuring Samaritan House, one of our many awesome partner agencies!
- Too Rich to be Poor, Too Poor to Get By, NARRATIVE.LY
“Millions of American families have incomes just above the federal poverty level—and the cutoff for many benefit programs—but still just barely eke out a living.”
*** Read our past Social Media Roundups.